Re: *scratch* lost

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: *scratch* lost
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:31:14 -0500

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

I was doing some key mapping in .emacs and instead of saving the file,
restarting Emacs, and testing the new assignment I was doing M-x eval
region on changed areas of .emacs Somehow all (or many) keychords
started acting strangely, e.g. C-x 1 would open subr.el in a new
buffer instead of showing current buffer alone in frame, even cursor
movement keys did something else. I killed .emacs buffer without
saving (losing changes) and then exited Emacs. On restarting
everything looks and works normally exept that *scratch* is empty
(three commented lines are missing) and it is in Fundamental mode
instead of Lisp Interaction. Can I get the old *scratch* buffer back?
How?

(defun make-scratch ()
  (interactive)
  (if (get-buffer "*scratch*")
     (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer "*scratch*"))
     (progn
        (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "*scratch*"))
        (insert ";; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for
Lisp evaluation.
;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

")
    (emacs-lisp-mode))))

M-x make-scratch RET

Thanks, Pascal. I made the mode for *scratch* (lisp-interaction-mode) so that C-j alone evaluates but if I needed your function to get a normal *scratch* every time I would have reinstalled Emacs instead. My .emacs (loaded under switch --debug-init) didn't seem to have any problems except for an empty *scratch* in fundamental mode but a normal *scratch* was produced with emacs -Q. Somehow a customization of org-agenda-file (maybe with extra quotes or something but whatever it was didn't hang up debug-init; I didn't pay close enough attention) was producing an empty *scratch* in fundamental mode. ??? Anyway I saved your function for later use if necessary. Now, '(org-agenda-files (quote ("c:/emacs/org"))) under custom-set-variables doesn't cause a problem.

Ed