Re: xdvi's inverse-search always open new fram .

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: xdvi's inverse-search always open new fram .
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:48:17 +0200

>>>>> "waterloo" == waterloo  <waterloo2005@gmail.com> writes:

    waterloo> I use emacs 23 in gentoo with auctex and xdvik.  when I use
    waterloo> inverse-search in xdvik, it always open new frame of emacs.  How
    waterloo> to reuse the original frame ? thanks

    waterloo> waterloo2005@gmail.com

Hi,

this is a FAQ. Emacs *23* from CVS (or packaged although not yet released for
gentoo as it is for Debian?) should do this by default; there is a special
command-line option "-c" to make emacsclient create a new frame. But the
behaviour can be customised via the server-window variable (documentation
below, look in the manual for "Emacs Server" and "Invoking `emacsclient'").

So my guess is that either you have configured xdvi to call emacsclient with
the "-c" option or that somewhere you have changed the default setting of
`server-window'.

Hope this helps.

Toto

Documentation of `server-window':

server-window is a variable defined in `server.el'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
Specification of the window to use for selecting Emacs server buffers.
If nil, use the selected window.
If it is a function, it should take one argument (a buffer) and
display and select it.  A common value is `pop-to-buffer'.
If it is a window, use that.
If it is a frame, use the frame's selected window.

It is not meaningful to set this to a specific frame or window with Custom.
Only programs can do so.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 22.1 of Emacs.

--
"The Prius is so slow, the child could run on the street,
retrieve the ball and grow to puberty before you actually hit