help about tab stops and truncate lines

From: address@hidden
Subject: help about tab stops and truncate lines
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:59:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
two questions:

1. I run a (little old) version of emacs on my slackware 11.
I had a problem in that usually in previous versions I put a

(setq auto-mode-alist nil)

in my .emacs file and get all to fundamental mode and tab stops every
8 bytes.
To get this in this version is difficult because even in fundamental
mode tab stops
and indentation works different. I asked in this newsgroup and receive
this answer:

(setq indent-line-function 'tab-to-tab-stop)

All works well up to now, but now I see that when I reach a certain
column (perhaps 80?),
tabs works already in a strange way.
How can I resolve?

2. How can I get emacs to not wrap lines and not show the dollar sign
at the right border as
truncate lines do (in other words: how can I get it to work like
windows notepad?)

Thanks for your attention,
             tano