Re: emacsclient over ssh

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: emacsclient over ssh
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:49:01 +1000

> Can I get some guidance on this:
>
> I want to run emacsclient on localhost but connect to emacs-server
> running running on remotehost.
>
> is there syntax for the emacsclient -s flag to go thru ssh to the
> remote emacs-server
>
>   maybe something like emacsclient -s host:server -c
>
> If this is the wrong way to go maybe someone can tell me how its done.
> So far I've just been doing ssh user@host
> Then run emacsclient on the remote... but of course I'm then limited
> to a console emacs.
>
> ssh to linux from opensolaris and then running emacs has a number of
> problems that need solving for that to be handy.  I guess having to do
> with what shell you are in and `stty' setting and other things I haven't
> thought of.
>
> At any rate a console emacs arrived at that way is a pain in the but
> to use. Its fine for normal file/directory work... but I want to
> access an emacs/gnus session running on the remote emacs-server. And I
> want the emacsclient to run in X on the localhost.
>
> Both remote and localhost are running X.
>
> The end result I'm after is to be able to access an emacs/gnus session
> that is running on a specific host from any of several hosts on the
> home lan.
>
> Someway... I want to end up with an emacsclient running in X and
> connected to a server on remotehost.

You didn't specify what version of emacs. The emacsclient has changed in
version 23 and I *think* some of those changes were backported to emacs
22.

At any rate, running emacs 23, I can ssh to my remote system and run
emacsclient so that it pops up a new emacs X frame, so essentially, I
get what you want pretty much out of the box. The only thing I had to
configure was to tell ssh to forward X11 connections to my local host.

I'm not sure if this X frame functionality is available in emacs 22
client. CVS Emacs 23 is very stable - I've been running it now for ages
and have only had a few minor problems that were resolved
quickly. (and I do mean minor and I do mean a few - less than 5

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au