Re: emacs 23 & Debian

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: emacs 23 & Debian
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:03:41 +0200

    Benjamin> The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the
    Benjamin> simple enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs
    Benjamin> and compile. It really is not that difficult.

    Benjamin> Both: 1. Dump the Debian Emacs. 2. Do the cvs thing, ./configure,
    Benjamin> make, make install.  "It's easy. :-)"

    Benjamin> Alrighty then, ... :-)

They forgot to tell you that if you drop out of packaging, you'll have to
install, upgrade and maintain all the other things which make emacs so valuable
(Emacs is the extensible, ...) by hand, too. I'm talking w3m, mew,
cedet/semantic, xcscope, etc.

Go ahead, I did it for years. But now, with limited time, I don't want to miss
the advantages of packages.

You have been warned.

Toto

--
I never said "Do what I do", I said: "Do what I say."
Seth Gecko (George Clooney) in Quentin Tarantino's