Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 00:43:23 +0200

Am 25.06.2009 um 20:27 schrieb Marc Tfardy:

  - can I switch off menubar, toolbar and scrollbar?

No. At least I've never seen a way to switch off scroll-bar. The menu bar in the Carbon and Cocoa ports is put into the  menu bar.

  - is the look & feel approximately like GNU Emacs?

Yes, in GNU Emacs, the X client.

  - can I open file without popup dialog - simply with C-x C-f in
    minibuffer?

Of course.

  - can I suppress all popup dialogs?

I don't think so…

  - working M-w, C-w, C-y or must I use C-x, C-c, C-v?

Rebinding of keys and modifiers is possible. Some Apple Cmd-keys are grabbed by Mac OS X before Emacs can see them.

  - can I switch off tabs?

What are tabs? Do you mean C-i?

- working all this nice extension elisp packages from internet without
    any kind of adaptations?

I haven't tested all, just three or four… (htmlize, session.el, AUCTeX, tabbar.el)

  - what GNU Emacs features do not working in Aquamacs?

I don't know. Aquamacs Emacs does not seem to friendly co-exist with my init file and my way of working with GNU Emacs.

  - on which inconvenience and discomforts do I have to count? What is
    different to GNU Emacs?

Since you know what's inconvenient and not comforting you it's better you find this out yourself. You can also try Emacs.app, the Cocoa version of GNU Emacs 23.1.50. A few hours ago a description was sent where to get the source of GNU Emacs 23.1.50 from which you can build Emacs.app on Mac OS X.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
                                – George W. Bush