Re: git mode for emacs

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: git mode for emacs
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:17:16 +0200

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
>>> I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295
>>>
>>> Im looking at dvc but its really obese and does not even have an entry
>>> on how to configure to use the git backend!!
>
> I too found DVC hard to use but that was a while back.
>

>> There is nothing to do in DVC to configure git backend.
>> To configure DVC you can have a look at my init file here:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/dvc-init.el
>>
>> The support for git is actually really good in DVC.
>>
>> NOTE : The manual is completely deprecated,
>> so you have better look at docstrings of functions or ask here or better
>> on the DVC mailing list.
>>
>> Hope it help ;-)
>>
>>> ------------------------
>>> Well...
>>> I typed this and then tried google and got Richard's pages on git
>>> +emacs. [Thanks Richard]
>>> I tried magit and its broken under windows as is git.el
>>> Right now I'm on linux and egg seems to be good.
>>>
>>> Anyone with experience of egg on windows?
>>>

> I started to write a tutorial for using DVC with emacs and
> git. Unfortunately I found DVC non too intuitive compared to, say,
> magit. Possibly it has come on since.
>
> http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/git/dvc-tutorial/index

Very nice, i quickly read it, it seem you speak about dvc-status in the
dvc bookmark section.
dvc-status and dvc-bookmarks are two differents things.
Or may be the section of dvc-bookmarks is just missing and you start
speaking of dvc-status just after?

C-x V b runs the command dvc-bookmarks

C-x V s runs the command dvc-status

You can add bookmarks from dired with

C-c V a runs the command dvc-bookmarks-dired-add-project

BTW is there a link in emacswiki to your tutorial?

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France