Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:49:50 +0200

Am 30.06.2009 um 05:23 schrieb queries0:

In my experience, what I miss most from Aquamacs is printing, and I wish the other apps could deliver what Aquamacs delivers.

When the buffer just contains ISO Latin-1 (ISO 8859-1) characters, then the PostScript print entries from the File menu are the proper choice. Mac OS X converts PostScript to PDF and sends it to your PostScript printer. When your printer is dumb, then you've installed software (a printer driver) which converts the vector graphics (PostScript or PDF) to a flood of pixels.

When you try to print from buffers with characters from behind the basic ISO Latin-1 range then htmlize is the choice. It converts such a buffer to Unicode encoded HTML and delegates its further use to your Web browser. This one is embedded in Mac OS X and when you then try to print the OS will take over all work.

Htmlize.el by Hrvoje Nikšić: http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/ htmlize.el. A sample of its capabilities can be seen here: http:// fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el.html – missing some CJK and other non-Latin content. Lennart Borgman's htmlize-view.el helps a bit to handle printing (http://piprim.tuxfamily.org/home/pi/emacs.d/ site-lisp/htmlize-view.el). (Fink supports some Emacs Lisp files or packages and can bring it to your Mac.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact opposite.