Emacs 23.1.50.2 icons

From: Ross A. Laird
Subject: Emacs 23.1.50.2 icons
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:25:35 -0700

I have followed the instructions in this list (and the org-mode list) to
compile emacs myself on my Ubuntu Intrepid system. I now have two
versions:

Self-compiled 23.1.50.2
Ubuntu snapshot 23.0.91.1

The (older) Ubuntu snapshot package has a much better looking icon bar
and menu bar. The (newer) self-compiled version looks like it's using
gtk1 widgets and menu text (which are ugly indeed). On the other hand,
the newer version seems to handle composite windows better (the dialog
boxes, for example, seem to be composted).

I assume that this is a compilation issue. Can I get the nice-looking
menus and icon bar compiled into the new version?

Thanks.

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD