Setting up nnmairix (was: gnus: how to improve searching for articles)

From: David Engster
Subject: Setting up nnmairix (was: gnus: how to improve searching for articles)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 19:25:48 +0200

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
> On Jun 30, 8:33 pm, Giorgos Keramidas <keram...@ceid.upatras.gr>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's an unfortunate thing indeed.  I am not sure if nnmairix can
>> be tuned a bit to use the agent.  I download most of the groups I read
>> in a local Gnus agent cache, and then read them from the cache.  So I
>> will try to see if nnmairix can 'peek into the cache' instead of
>> fetching the articles over the wire.
>
> Hmm that sounds a bit strange to me since I use newsgroups because I
> don't want to be subscribed to a lot of mailing list and hence avoid
> to receive tons of emails...
>
> BTW, I tried to use mairix in gnus and I'm confused when creating a
> nnmairix server  (G b c): gnus asks me for "the name of the *back end
> server* where mairix should store its searches. So I created before a
> nnml group which I named 'mairix'. But now I did some searches (G b s)
> or permanent searches (G b g) but the group 'mairix' which I
> previously created is never used... All search I did end up creating a
> group named "zz_mairix-*-1".
>
> Could you tell me what I'm missing ?

You can use the following kludge

(setq gnus-auto-subscribed-groups

"^\\(nnml\\|nnfolder\\|nnmbox\\|nnmh\\|nnbabyl\\|nnmaildir\\).*:\\([^z]\\|z$\\|\\z[^z]\\|zz$\\|zz[^_]\\|zz_$\\).*")

to avoid the zz_mairix-* groups being auto-subscribed.

The term "back end" does not denote a group, but a server where groups
reside, in your case your local nnml server. You do not have to create
any groups manually, since nnmairix will create those groups for
you. They should directly pop up in your Group buffer.

-David