File local variables: set both a minor mode and a local variable that it

From: dnquark
Subject: File local variables: set both a minor mode and a local variable that it depends on
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:58:05 -0700 (PDT)

For a particular set of files, I would like to work in longlines-mode,
with a certain fill-column value.  While editing the file, I do (setq
fill-column 77) and M-x longlines-mode, and everything works.
However, when I try to put these settings as file local variables,
like so:
#-*- coding:utf-8; fill-column: 77; mode:longlines;  -*-
longlines-mode still uses the default global value of fill-column; I
have to toggle the mode on and off to activate the correct value, now
set at 77.  Order of mode: and fill-column: statements in that line
doesn't change anything.  Is there a way, then, to have longlines read
in value of 77 automatically without having to mess with the global
default for fill-column?