Re: Source code navigation in emacs

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: Source code navigation in emacs
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:52:53 +0200

At Sun, 5 Jul 2009 22:31:59 -0700,
n179911 <n179911@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone please recommend what is the way to setup code navigation in
> emacs?
> I have setup xcope.el with cscope run in emacs.
>
> But I read here, it said some thing about gnu global with emacs?
> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/01/navigating-through-source-code-using.html
>
> I would like to know what is the better way?

The most generic way is to just use a tags table, see the manual:

  (info "(emacs) Tags")

(C-x C-e after the closing paren in emacs)

etags supports more languages than gnu global, and there is an
etags program coming with exuberant-ctags that supports even
more. There are alternative, more capable solutions for specific
programming languages. What are you working with?

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig