Display "dash" as "minus" in programming language mode?

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Display "dash" as "minus" in programming language mode?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 23:01:03 +0200

Hallöchen!

I have an arguably odd question: Is it possible to tell Emacs to
display every "dash" character as an "en-dash" character?

The reason is that I use the DejaVu fonts which have a particularly
short dash.  In source code, this is unfortunate.  Is is possible to
use e.g. font-lock-mode to substitute "en-dash" or "minus" for every
"dash"?

Tschö,
Torsten.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bronger@jabber.rwth-aachen.de