Re: [OT] Gnus and MTA(local)

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: [OT] Gnus and MTA(local)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 04:23:20 +0300

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 09:03:07 +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> wrote:
> For several years, i have been using Postfix in my desktop which runs
> FreeBSD. In recent, i'm considering to switch local MTA from Postfix
> to the others (e.g., qmail, Exim, Sendmail, ...). So i read some
> papers about comparison MTAs. But still i could not deside what MTA is
> best for me using Gnus and send-pr(1). This time i would like to give
> +1 to Exim because most Emacs(Gnus, Rmail, VM, WL, Mew) folks use
> Exim.
>
> Especially i checked this paper: http://shearer.org/MTA_Comparison

Hi Byung-Hee :)

IMO, this is a very good comparison.  I really enjoyed reading it, so
first of all thank you for the link.  When I finished reading the
article, I immediately tweeted about it, so others can pick it from my
feed and share the fun!

Postfix is a very nice system, with many features, it can support both
single-user workstations and large multi-thousand user domains, and it
runs pretty well on FreeBSD.  In fact, Postfix is the MTA that runs the
entire *.FreeBSD.org cluster of machines :)

FWIW, I still have Sendmail running on my laptop (mostly out of inertia
and because after the initial setup back in 1999 it still works fine),
but if I was changing MTAs it would be Postfix all the way.

So, what are your reasons for switching from Postfix to something else?
Maybe we can help you configure Postfix to do what you have in mind, and
you can still keep it.