RE: Need help in using icicle-find-tag

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Need help in using icicle-find-tag
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:50:57 -0700

> I need help in using icicle-find-tag command.
>
> The prompt said "Find tag matching regexp: "
> I type: "ImageLoader"
> After that, the prompt said 'Choose a tag:'
> What should I do here? I don't see any result...

Hit `S-TAB', to see all possible matches (in buffer *Completions*).

Or type some text, then `S-TAB', to see all matches that also match that text.
E.g. `foo S-TAB' shows all `ImageLoader' tags that match `foo'.

> I type Ctrl-U M- . Nothing shows.  I type Enter. Nothing shows.  I
> just see the prompt becomes 'File or Directory'...
>
> Please help.

You are confusing vanilla `find-tag' with `icicle-find-tag'. In Icicle mode,
`M-.' is `icicle-find-tag' (by default). You can use it to visit any and all
tags that match your input - there is no need to use `C-u M-.' to visit each
alternative match.

Read the Icicles doc for this. `icicle-find-tag' is a multi-command. That means
that using it once can be like using `find-tag' any number of times (`M-.', `C-u
M-.', `C-u M-.' etc.). It is a tags browser, giving you direct access to all of
the tags (at once) that match a given pattern. And that includes alternative
tags, e.g. multiple definitions of the same function (in the same TAGS table or
different tables).

Read the doc, or at least the doc string of `icicle-find-tag':

,----
| M-. runs the command icicle-find-tag, which is an interactive compiled
| Lisp function in `icicles-cmd1.el'.
|
| It is bound to M-., <menu-bar> <search> <goto> <find-tag>, <menu-bar>
|
| (icicle-find-tag REGEXP &optional ARG)
|
| Navigate among all tags that match REGEXP.
| You are prompted for the REGEXP to match.  Enter REGEXP with `RET'.
| You can use completion to choose a tag in the current tags table as
| REGEXP.  You can use `M-*' to return to your starting point.
|
| All matching tags are shown, including duplicate tags from the same or
| different source files.  This means that you do not need `M-,' - you
| see all tags as candidates to visit.
|
| By default:
|
| * Tags from all tags files are candidates.
| * The source file name is shown after a tag, in buffer *Completions*.
|
| A prefix argument changes this default behavior, as follows:
|
| * ARG = 0 or ARG > 0: only the current tag table is used
| * ARG = 0 or ARG < 0: source file names are not shown
|
| By default, Icicle mode remaps all key sequences that are normally
| bound to `find-tag' to `icicle-find-tag'.  If you do not want this
| remapping, then customize option `icicle-top-level-key-bindings'.
|
| If `crosshairs.el' is loaded, then the target position is highlighted.
`----

Information about using multi-commands:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Multi-Commands
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Tripping

Information about Icicles TAGS enhancements:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Tags_Enhancements