Re: Source code navigation in emacs

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: Source code navigation in emacs
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 22:25:20 +0200

Hello Dirk!

>     > And can you please help me understand why GNU-Global is better than
>     > xcope.el + cscope for emacs?
>
> I don't know if it's better or not -- I just happened to start with GNU-Global
> and it worked nice for me. Some of the things that I liked and may (or may
> not) be
> available in some of the other tools:
>
>  - create a tagfile for a whole subtree (recursively)
>  - incremental updates
>  - can be used outside emacs
>
> However, GNU-Global only supports C, C++, Yacc, Java en PHP.

Well, GNU global definitely has more features, but if it doesn't
support the language I'm using, it doesn't do any good for me. It
seems to be quite similar to the tags system, just a bit more
powerful. It is simpler and more lightweight than i.e. CEDET's
Semantic. It is also quite old: etags.c seems to be part of GNU emacs
since around its inception, the copyright, er, -left, notices start
with 1984. It had to be lightweight to run on 1980's hardware. 8-)

Happy hacking!

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig