Re: key map entry for shift-return?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: key map entry for shift-return?
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:14:09 +0000 (UTC)

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 09.07.2009 um 20:02 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:

>> It can be fixed for Emacs running on a tty, as indeed I have fixed
>> mine.

> Is this fix *very* specific? If it can be used in many terminal
> emulations on many operating systems by many users, then it's really
> worth to become part of GNU Emacs ? or is it 'just' X resources? Then
> it's worth to become part of the documentation.

The fix is specific to Linux virtual terminals, the things that use
`loadkeys' and friends to setup the keyboard, and to which you get by
pressing, e.g. C-A-<f1> from X-Windows.  I don't know if it would work
without modification in an X-Windows terminal window.

The fix arranges for modifier keys to apply prefixes, so that where
<right> is normally "ESC [ C", C-<right> becomes "ESC [ 1 } ESC [ C" and
C-S-<right> would be "ESC [ 5 } ESC [ C".  Additionally, there's some
stuff in the function key map to handle the prefices.  It works
flawlessly.

The guy who wrote it, Kalle Niemitalo, doesn't much like GPL-3, and
doesn't want to assign it to the FSF, so it can't become part of Emacs.
I keep meaning to put it up on the Emacs Wiki, though.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).