Defining new compilation error regexp

From: bigfaceworm
Subject: Defining new compilation error regexp
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:12:31 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Emacs 22.1

Am trying to get 'next-error to work on a particular (new) output
format, but am having trouble debugging my efforts because I cannot
seem to find where the values of 'compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist
or 'compilation-error-regexp-alist are used in compile.el  (other than
for font lock purposes).

I've done 'edebug-defun on 'compilation-next-error-function, and the
call to 'compilation-next-error either returns with a proper value
(when I haven't done any customization) or errors out with "moved past
last error",

'compilation-next-error is relying on properties being set on text in
the *compilation* buffer, but for the life of me, I can't find *where*
those are being set.

Any help? I'm mostly trying to find where the regexp-alist(-alist) is
used to set up properties so 'compilation-next-error-function can
proceed appropriately.

thanks,

TJ