Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:10:39 +0200

Am 13.07.2009 um 07:17 schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:

How are you supposed to page around a hundreds-of-megabytes heavy log
file across a ssh connection: by first pulling everything before the pos
you want to jump to?

Well, I'd use dired and tail. To give a real recommendation I first need some real experience. I've did some remote log file searching and similiar things, configuring and serving Apache, and I did not run into a situation I would have needed a pager, using TRAMP with SSH or PuTTY. Log rotation is a nice thing. At least, I don't feel great when I have to work with GB log files.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"We need a president who's fluent in at least one language."
                                – Buck Henry