Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:16:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 13, 10:21 am, Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> wrote:

> OK, then it's probably me who fails to understand why do you keep
> talking about "M-x shell" when you need a terminal. This
> "page-at-a-time" feature comes with terminal emulation. There's no need
> to make "M-x shell" a real terminal because there already is one: "M-x
> term".

Ok then it's probably me who fails to understand the point of "M-x
shell"...

Just because it's not a real terminal emulation, does that mean it
should be boring to be used with commands with a lot of output (hence
lot of processing) ?

If "M-x shell" implements this 'page-at-a-time' feature, does that
mean it becomes a real term emulation ?

Is it really that much hard to make "M-x shell" mimics the one page at
a time ?

Maybe this shows one of the Emacs' drawback: there're so many packages
out there which implement the same functionnality but differently and
with different limitations and that make the user confused and spend a
lot of time to wonder/try each of all of these packages. And
eventually once the use makes a choice: "ok this package is good
enough but I miss this X functionnality". So now he's asking why X
functionnality is not implemented, and he got some answers like:
"there's an 10th package you should look at" or "just don't be silly
and use package 'A'"....

> Is there something wrong with "M-x term"?

Not really, but I found it not very well suited to be used inside
Emacs: the key bindings are not very friendly with the rest of Emacs
and sometimes the output is screwed, I dunno why. So it's not very
integrated to Emacs, and I just prefer start another term outside
emacs if I want a real term emulation.