How to make display-buffer automatically focus (e.g. for help buffers)

From: dnquark
Subject: How to make display-buffer automatically focus (e.g. for help buffers)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 04:12:35 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to implement the following behavior for buffers that pop
up when e.g. help is invoked: I want the pop-up buffer to
automatically take focus.  I tried to advise the display-buffer
function with (other-window 1), but this solution is suboptimal: for
instance, if I continue browsing help it will be using display-buffer
but will be reusing its window -- so (other-window 1) makes the
already selected help window lose focus.  Is there a better solution?

In addition: for any buffer that pops up automatically (Help,
completions, TeX compilation results, etc) I would like to be able to
create filters based on buffer name and optionally turn on the View
mode (so that the buffer could be easily searched and/or dismissed by
pressing 'q').  I searched extensively, but couldn't find a ready-made
function that would do that...