Re: emacsW32 can't find gunzip

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsW32 can't find gunzip
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:40:35 +0300

> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:58:28 -0700 (PDT)
>
> after looking into this with your help, i think my problem is about
> emacs unable to execute unix shell script.
>
> pressing Z in dired to compress a file is no problem. The problem is
> with uncompressing. The gunzip is located at
>
> c:/cygwin/bin/gunzip
>
> however, it is just a shell script, the content is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> PATH=${GZIP_BINDIR-'/usr/bin'}:$PATH
> exec gzip -d "$@"

Yuck!  I _hate_ this unportable stuff!

> any suggestion on getting emacs to call gzip -d directly?

You can't, not without significant changes to Dired.  It currently
assumes that the association in dired-compress-file-suffixes is a file
name of a program, not a shell command.

Does it help to copy gzip.exe to gunzip.exe?

If that doesn't work (it depends on how your gzip.exe was compiled),
then perhaps crafting a gunzip.bat batch file that invokes "gzip -d %*"
will work.