Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:07:34 -0700 (PDT)

On 13 juil, 15:12, Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgw...@spammotel.com>
wrote:
> Francis Moreau wrote:
>
> > Damn, I repeat one more time: I don't want "| less" or less(1) work in "M-x
> > shell" (hope this is clear now)
>
> Just one (real) question: what's the advantage of `M-x shell'? I understand
> `M-x term' allows for full-blown terminal emulation, but can we use it every
> time we were going to use `M-x shell'?

This one has already been asked before just look at:

<76036640-c499-482c-81c0-9e0cb325e96a@k26g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>

> Or are there some things `M-x term' can't do while `M-x shell' can?

Actually you can read this in the emacs info pages: "In line mode,
Term basically acts like Shell mode".

The problem here is the word 'basically' which probably means
'almost'. So they differ in the details.

In my case, I started to use 'M-x shell', and like it since I almost
never have to use applications that need a real term emulation. But if
you look at them (M-x term and M-x shell) carefully, then 'M-x term'
has some weird behaviours when using the shell mode key bindings; try
for instance: 'C-c C-e', 'C-c C-a', 'C-c C-o'... but as I said they're
details.

But the main problem I think, which is a different issue, is why the
hell Emacs has 2 functionalities that do 'basically' the same thing ?!

Why can't it offer one and only one package that give the best of the
2 worlds ?