How to backspace in isearch-forward-regexp

From: David Karr
Subject: How to backspace in isearch-forward-regexp
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:50:46 -0700 (PDT)

(I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I tried using the email
gateway, but it didn't seem to work, or it takes too long.)

After installing GNU Emacs on some new boxes recently, I finally
realized one thing that is behaving differently than what I'm used to.

When I'm using isearch-forward-regexp, I can type letter by letter,
and it will update the first match found.  I used to be able to hit
backspace while typing to remove the last character entered in the
search string, in case I made a mistake entering the string.

Now, when I hit backspace, it exits isearch-forward-regexp and sends
the backspace directly to the buffer I was searching in, usually
deleting the previous character at the end of the last match.

I have a feeling this must have something to do with the binding of
the backspace key in Cygwin.

I'm using Emacs 23.0.92.1 on Cygwin 1.5.