RE: Update time stamps of different kind

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Update time stamps of different kind
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:21:39 -0700

> > Making it a file local variable you can have as global setting
> > something else. For you "%:y-%02m-%02d" might be right!
>
> Thank you, Peter. From this I conclude that there's no easy way to get
> both, the usual time stamp in its default format "%:y-%02m-%02d
> %02H:%02M:%02S %u" plus the meta information updated?
>
> > The time stamp needs to be in the first few lines of a file.
>
> Is it possible to overcome this limitation? I mean to extend the
> possible area from the first 8 lines to, say, the first 20 lines?

I don't have time to check exactly what you want to do and how to do it, but you
might want to take a look here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutomaticFileHeaders#header2
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/header2.el

That code uses a custom time stamp, with no limit on where you put it.

See also function `format-time-string'. You can use it to get a time stamp of
various forms - quite flexible.