Re: switch between utf-8 and latin-1 (ARGH!!)

From: ?manu*
Subject: Re: switch between utf-8 and latin-1 (ARGH!!)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:32:43 +0200

Pascal J. Bourguignon ha scritto:

Normally, you would have checked the user manual,

Yes, you're right. I was scared by the large amount of material. I checked it now, and found another solution:

M-x find-file-literally

But, anyway, the problem was that I didn't understand that emacs was re-encoding the file when I changed the file variables. I thought that the variables were read only while reading the file and not also when saving it... I cannot find a description of this behaviour in the manual.

E.