Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 05:56:55 -0500

> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>>> (x-list-fonts "*")
>>>
>>> If you use anything package, you will find in anything-config.el a
>>> source to browse all these fonts visually.
>>
>> Command `icicle-font' - browse visually, cycle, filter on font description
>> parts, etc. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles
>
> I'm not sure what is supposed to happen with that... but what I get is
> an unkillable monster that takes over my entire desktop. After
> load-library and icy-mode
> Using command M-x icicle-font
>
> First it hangs for several minutes and then pops up a massive instance
> of emacs so big it prevents any usage at all.  Finally dragging enough
> of the monster to the left and finding the X in right hand
> corner... but it doesn't affect this big useless brute.
>
> Finally closed with kill-all command. from OS.
>
> Appears to need a tab bit of work.
>
> I use a very large desktop. 2048 x 1536  Apparently icicles wants to
> operate in full screen mode.   Is that necessary?

Drew, I may have opened my big mouth a bit early above... on a second
try I'm politely prompted to insert a font name/string/regex.

Not sure what I may have done... to cause the first situation... when
emacs sort of froze I may have pressed or click something to cause the
full screen buffer to expand.

But this time, having loaded icicles, and set icy-mode, it appears to
have destroyed completion at the M-x cmdline.

For example... there is no completion for M-x icicles-<spc> or <tab>
Also it apparently expects some specialized name to be inserted.
Things like `*' or `adobe' get the error message:
 [no-prefix-completion].

Your comment: "filter on font description parts" would seem to indicate
some part of font name but I find only something beginning with '-'
works.  So a very special part of font name.

For example `-'  causes all fonts to be listed, while
`adobe' fails to list any and gives the message:
  [no-prefix-completion]

And `-adobe' appears to list all adobe fonts.

But something like `-.*bold'  fails.