Re: emacsclient stuck "Waiting for Emacs..."

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: emacsclient stuck "Waiting for Emacs..."
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:01:35 +0200

At Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:35:42 -0500,
Joseph Garvin <joseph.h.garvin@gmail.com> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
>
> [2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> I'm running emacs 22.0.96.1. I've put (server-start) in my rc file, and when
> I run emacsclient on a file it opens it my existing emacs just as it should.
> But emacsclient never detects
> that emacs has opened the file and just sits there "Waiting for Emacs..."
> after that. If in emacs I restart the server M-x server-start, then
> emacsclient stops waiting (because it
> finally realizes it finished or because it detects a disconnect, I don't
> know). I've looked in my /tmp and verified there's an entry for the emacs
> server there. In case it's relevant,
> I'm running on Solaris 10.
>
> Any ideas how to fix emacsclient?

It's not broken. Emacsclient is designed to behave like this so that
you can use it as a replacement for other editors, e.g. for composing
mail in mutt, or writing a commit message for subversion. The calling
program needs to know when you're done editing, you do that with
`C-x #' (server-edit) from emacs.

To get the behaviour you desire you have to pass the -n switch to
emacsclient. I have a shell function that does that for me:

  ec() { emacsclient -n "$@"; }

HTH

Anselm

--