RE: Text highlighter functiontionality

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Text highlighter functiontionality
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:18:12 -0700

> >> Is anyone aware of a text highlighter functionality in
> >> emacs? I would like to highlight (possibly non-connected)
> >> portions of text in a buffer in such a way, that the
> >> highlighting persists within one emacs
> >> session (i.e., when I change the buffer and return to it again, the
> >> highlighting should still be there).
> >
> > Sounds pretty much like "M-s h r" (highlight-regexp) to me.
>
> There are also markerpens:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MarkerPens

That is not the generic page about this; it is only one of the libraries that
offers such a "marker-pen" or "highlighter" feature.

This is the generic page for this topic:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightTemporarily

In particular, library highlight.el lets you highlight using a "marker pen", but
also in many other ways. This is its page:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighLight. And its highlighting can be with
either text properties or overlays. AFAIK, it is the most flexible of the
various approaches available.