Re: Windows + Eshell: fixing character encoding?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows + Eshell: fixing character encoding?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:10:53 +0300

> Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:38:07 +0000
> From: Elena Garrulo <egarrulo@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> 2009/7/29 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>:
> > From where do you know that \205 and \212 stand for à and è etc.?
>
> Because I know the italian words the program is outputting: "già" ->
> "gi\205", "è" -> "\212".

That's not a proof.  Peter is right, the octal escapes you see are not
the codepoints of the Latin-1 characters you expect to see.  In fact,
these codepoints are invalid in Latin-1.

I suspect that the programs you run from Eshell (which programs are
those, by the way?) produce a Windows codepage encoding, not a Latin-1
encoding.

I have a few more questions:

  . What is the value of default-process-coding-system?

  . What is the value of locale-coding-system?

  . Does the problem happens in Emacs invoked as "emacs -Q"?