RE: How to speed up emacs start time?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to speed up emacs start time?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:30:32 -0700

> In my .emacs, I have
> (setq load-path (cons "~/bin/emacslib" load-path))
> (require 'icicles)
>
> And in my ~/bin/emacslib, I have
>
> $ ls
> icicles-chg.el   icicles-doc1.el  icicles-fn.el
> icicles-mode.el  icicles.el
> icicles-cmd1.el  icicles-doc2.el  icicles-mac.el   icicles-opt.el
> icicles-cmd2.el  icicles-face.el  icicles-mcmd.el  icicles-var.el
>
> Can you please tell me how can I speed up emacs startup time? Is there
> anyway to compile the .el. files so that emacs can come up faster?

1. C-x d ~/bin/emacslib

2. Use `m' to mark each of the icicles files, except *-chg* and *-doc*.

3. `B', then confirm, to byte compile all of the marked files.

You're done.

If you modify any of the source files that you've byte-compiled (e.g. you
downloaded a later version), you can use `M-x byte-recompile-directory' to
recompile any that whose *.elc files are out of date. That's like a mini-`make'
for byte-compiled files.