How to rescan for mode comment in new buffer?

From: KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)
Subject: How to rescan for mode comment in new buffer?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:55:16 -0700

If I've created a new empty file and pasted in the header that will make
the shell and Emacs recognize it as a Perl script, what's the easiest
way to "refresh" it so that Emacs recognizes that it has to go into Perl
mode?  I could just manually run "perl-mode", but I'd rather a cleaner
way to do it.  Saving, killing the buffer and reloading it seems
excessive also.