Re: What do 'hooks' do and how do they do it?

From: William Case
Subject: Re: What do 'hooks' do and how do they do it?
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 20:43:28 +0000

Thanks Dirk;

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 21:00 +0300, Dirk-Jan C.Binnema wrote:
> Hi Bill,

> I think Drew Adams gave a very clear answer about the Emacs implementation,

Yes he did.  However, I tried to point out in my original post that I
was aware of how to implement a 'hook' in emacs.

> but let me add that the concept of a 'hook' is simply a programming technique:
> the ability to set some function to be run whenever a particular event
> happens.

I was curious about the programming technique that was used -- or more
specifically -- how the hook function was setup so that the hook
automagically responded to a program's hook event.

> The concept is in use in many places (such as SE-Linux), but how it's
> implemented is quite different. In Emacs-Lisp, the hooks are simply Lisp
> functions to be called -- no kernel involved (well...).
>
> See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooking

The wikipedia site you suggest above covers just about everything I
wanted to know.  I don't know how I missed it.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3