Re: How to speed up emacs start time?

From: Rugxulo
Subject: Re: How to speed up emacs start time?
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 09:12:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

On Jul 31, 2:51 am, n179911 <n179...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you. Emacs 23.1 on Mac OSX works.
> But when I start emacs at terminal (instead of running Emacs.app),
> emacs (in /usr/bin/emacs version 22)  complains that the .elc are
> compiled for version 23.

Surprisingly, I don't think anybody answered your question correctly
yet. So here's my lame attempt ....

Anyways, it's incompatible now due to changes in 23.1. You'll have to
compile with 22, I suppose, which will still work with 23.

(quoting from NEWS):

"During byte-compilation, Emacs 23 uses `utf-8-emacs' to write files.
As a result, byte-compiled files containing non-ASCII characters can't
be read by earlier versions of Emacs.  Files compiled by Emacs 20, 21,
or 22 are loaded correctly as `emacs-mule' (whether or not they
contain multibyte characters).  This takes somewhat more time, so it
may be worth recompiling existing .elc files which don't need to be
shared with older Emacsen."