Re: Emacs removes whitespaces at the end of lines

From: F. Unglaub
Subject: Re: Emacs removes whitespaces at the end of lines
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:47:11 +0200

On 2009-08-02, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> "F. Unglaub" <f.unglaub@gmail.com> writes:
>> I use emacs with mutt and slrn (post-mode) and noticed that
>> whitespaces at the end of lines are auto-removed. This leads to
>> problems, for example, with the signature delimiter "-- \n". In my
>> case it's reduced to "--\n" which certain newsreaders like tin
>> consider wrong.

[...]

> Back to the problem: Normally, emacs should not do that, so I guess
> that's something you (or your sysadmin) configured.  Something like:
>
>   (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'delete-trailing-whitespace)
>
> So grep your ~/.emacs and the files in the site-lisp directory for
> `delete-trailing-whitespace'.

I can only find delete-trailing-whitespace in my rails-mode.el
file. And I'm certain that I'm not using rails-mode for posting emails
and news.

Could there be anything besides the mentioned hook that could cause
this problem?

Regards.
--
Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth.
                -- Erma Bombeck