Making forward-word work with curly apostrophes

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Making forward-word work with curly apostrophes
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 13:19:28 -0700

If I have a text-mode buffer with the following two words:

1. I've
2. I’ve

forward-word skips over "I've," but treats "I’ve" as _three_ words. I seem to recall that forward-char skips over characters with word syntax until it finds one with non-word-syntax, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I set ’ to have the same syntax as ' with:

(modify-syntax-entry ?’ "w p")

But forward-word still treats it as three words. All works well if I do:

(skip-syntax-forward "w")

What is forward-word doing, and how can I make it treat ’ as part of my word?

 - Ian