Re: Buffer specific hide-list in ERC

From: Brian Adkins
Subject: Re: Buffer specific hide-list in ERC
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:54:52 -0400

"Edward O'Connor" <hober0@gmail.com> writes:

>> I just discovered the way to hide certain IRC messages in the Emacs
>> ERC client via erc-hide-list; however, I've been unable to find a way
>> to do this for specific channels/buffers.
>>
>> In other words, I'd like to hide 'join', 'part', 'quit', etc. in my
>> higher traffic channels, but I'm in a few low traffic channels where
>> it would be handy to see that a person has joined.
>
> You could make the variables be buffer-local, and set them to
> different values via a hook.

Thanks.

The help for make-variable-buffer-local recommends using
make-local-variable. The latter accepts one argument - the name of the
variable, so it appears to depend on some sort of context to determine
which buffer in which to make the variable local i.e. I can't pass in
a reference to a buffer.

The ERC doc shows a erc-join-hook which states the function is called
w/o arguments and the current buffer is set to the buffer of the new
channel. So if I can just figure out how to determine which channel is
associated with the current buffer, the rest should be easy :)

buffer-name might be sufficient since it looks like the buffer name
begins with the name of the channel.

--
Brian Adkins
http://lojic.com/