Re: Emacs 23.1.1 Windoze doesn't locate/run site-lisp.el/default.el anym

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1.1 Windoze doesn't locate/run site-lisp.el/default.el anymore (bug??)
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 22:39:41 -0500

Peter Milliken wrote:
It was the pretest emacs (the very last one before the official release I believe) - which is when I was first faced with the tool-bar sticking me in the face. So I read up on how to get rid of it and was forced to put the code in site-start.el - which I naturally put in the same directory as my .emacs - not reading the manual carefully enough to realise it should not find it there - but it did.

So I guess something changed since the last pretest and the official release - because it was certainly working from ~! :-)

I think it was on by default in all versions of 22 also.

I may abandon using the Windows release of Emacs though as the road seems to be for more and more Windows/mouse interaction being built in as "default". It is annoying having to research how to turn the stuff off. I think I'll have a closer look at the cygwin Emacs distrib.

Thanks anyway
Peter

The toolbar will probably be on by default there too. Also I think running Emacs through the cygwin dll will be a little slower than the native version. Generally it's probably easier for those who deprecate mouse usage to find out how to turn such things off than for mousers to figure out how to turn them on. If you don't want to rtfm then C-h v tool tab and C-h f tool tab would show that tool-bar-mode is both a variable and a function. Also Customize Emacs - Specific Option - tool-bar-mode - off - save for future sessions - would have written to .emacs and made the tool bar disappear for good.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com <mailto:jasonrumney@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Aug 3, 6:50 am, Peter Milliken <peter.milli...@gmail.com
    <mailto:peter.milli...@gmail.com>> wrote:
     > Just loaded Emacs 23.1.1 for Windoze and now my site-lisp.el file
    nolonger
     > seems to run.

     > Just for the hell of it, I copied the default.el into
    c:/emacs/site-lisp -
     > and Emacs appears to run it from that location - which is NOT
    where I want
     > my personal customisations to reside!
     >
     > Nothing else has changed i.e. my HOME directory prior to starting
    Emacs is
     > still pointing to where the site-start.el/default.el files are
    located.

    Emacs has never automatically run site-lisp.el and default.el files
    from the HOME directory,  unless your HOME directory happens to be
    called site-lisp and is in the parent directory of your previous Emacs
    installation, I don't see how this could have worked without
    customizations in .emacs