Re: How to learn elisp ?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to learn elisp ?
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 19:53:43 +0200

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <mailman.3943.1249480576.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  waterloo <waterloo2005@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Emacs Lisp Reference is sufficient ?
>>
>> I feel  Emacs Lisp Reference is harder and some sections is obscure to me .
>
> This is a reference manual, not a tutorial, it's not intended as a
> learning mechanism.
>
> IMHO, the best way to learn any programming language is to read and
> write code in the language.  So look at existing Emacs packages for
> example code,

Erm...  Do you have a list of _well_ _written_ emacs packages?

I'm afraid that I find it easy to find badly written emacs lisp code.
Heavily procedural code (setq), lack of abstraction, giant functions, etc.

I probably have a distorted view here, since I mostly plunge in deep
emacs lisp code when I encounter a bug, so I see mostly bugged code in
the first place.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__