Re: Flyspell error

From: sam jesse
Subject: Re: Flyspell error
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:48:32 +1000

any idea how to install an en word list to window xp for my aspell to work?

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:46 AM, sam jesse <revrvr@gmail.com> wrote:
OK

I made the code simple to cover my need:
*********************************************8

(when (string-equal system-type "windows-nt")
 (progn
   (setenv "PATH" "C:/Program Files/Aspell/bin/")
   (setq exec-path '("C:/Program Files/Aspell/bin") )
 )
)

but on M-$ I get

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error: No word lists can be found for the language \"en_US\".")
  signal(error ("Error: No word lists can be found for the language \"en_US\"."))
  error("%s" "Error: No word lists can be found for the language \"en_US\".")
  ispell-init-process()
  ispell-buffer-local-words()
  ispell-accept-buffer-local-defs()
  ispell-word(nil nil nil)
  call-interactively(ispell-word)

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi!

I don't have that much windows experience, but I'll do my best. 8-)

> I tried to put
> (when (string-equal system-type "windows-nt")
>   (progn
>      (setenv "PATH"  C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\
> WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\
> QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\WINDOWS\system32\
> WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;c:\Program Files\Microsoft
> SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\
> Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;c:\Program Files
> \Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\
> Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Aspell\bin\
> .
> .
> .
>
> do I need to replace \ with /?

Yes, either with / or you need to double the backslash like this: \\,
because the Backslash is the quoting character in emacs lisp strings.

> do I need to replace ; with :? and if so, what
> about the : after the C?

No, I think that would be wrong.

> this setenv, does it modify the PATH in my OS? if
> so, do I need to be logged in with admin account?
> and if I do modify it, does it effect my other
> programs in my windows XP?

You don't need admin rights to change environment variables. It only
has an effect on programs you start from within emacs.

> I read the setenv and getenv but could not figure
> out the above.
> why setenv PATH when there is setq exec-path?

`setenv' sets the environment variable. Whenever emacs uses the OS'
shell to start a program, the shell will see the value of PATH you set
in Emacs. However, Emacs can also start a program without using the
shell, and to this end it has exec-path.

`exec-path' gets set to the list of paths in your PATH environment
variable when emacs starts. Setting PATH in your .emacs is too late,
unfortunately. So to have everything in one place, I'd rather not
touch PATH or exec-path in .emacs, but rather set the system's PATH
correctly in the first place. This fixes the issue not only for Emacs
but for all other programs as well. You shouldn't need admin rights to
do this as this doesn't affect other users.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig