Re: How to learn elisp ?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to learn elisp ?
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 05:08:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 5, 4:26 am, waterloo <waterloo2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have read the manual "An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp".
>
> But still I can not be able to write complete code of lisp .

Practice. :)

I use emacs for like 8 hours a day daily since 1998. I read quite a
lot emacs manual. For the first about 5 years i use emacs completely
in a text terminal with emacs keybinding and ways. I thought i knew a
lot about emacs, yet i didn't know shit about elisp until 2006 i
started to learn it. Kinda resisted learning it. Learning a bit elisp
helps your emacs using a lot. I've been programing elisp in a
leisurely since 2006, am pretty good for using elisp as a text
processing lang such as perl, python, but still quite hard to code
emacs features such as major mode, minor mode, frames/windows, font
etc.

just patience and practice. If you are not a programer, more practice
i guess.

I have now some emacs tutorial i think you probably have seen. Here's
some simple examples that might help.

• Emacs Lisp Examples
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_examples.html

start small and gradual with tidbits of useful examples works well for
me.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/