Re: keyboard-translate working for Control but not for Alt

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: keyboard-translate working for Control but not for Alt
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:37:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Elena,

; Make C-t acts like C-x, so that C-x is easier to type on dvorak
; (keyboard-translate ?\C-t ?\C-x)
; but this means  ALL your C-t keys becomes C-x.
; So, for example, in outline-mode, C-c C-t runs hide-body.
; But now, when you type that, you get C-c C-x instead.
; A better solution is:
; (global-set-key (kbd "C-t") ctl-x-map)

i've been using
(keyboard-translate ?\C-t ?\C-x)

for the past ~5 years or so. In pratice, i never noticed any problem,
prob because C-t hardly used as embedded combo in a key sequence, or,
when it is used, such commands are often advanced features or not
commonly needed.

in fact, the example C-c C-t in outline-mode i only noticed yesterday,
as i was browsing emacs 23's News file which is in outline-mode. Other
than this, i've not used outline-mode.

I switched to

(global-set-key (kbd "C-t") ctl-x-map)

yesterday, and noticed that it has problems too.
I often do “C-x r l” to get my bookmark list.
So, this means i've been pressing “C-t r l” in the past ~5 years.
But if you are in dired, that no longer works with the new setup. “C-t
r” invokes image-dired-delete-tag.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/