Re: uncompress-on-load uses 'uncompress' needs to use 'gunzip'

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: uncompress-on-load uses 'uncompress' needs to use 'gunzip'
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 15:08:50 +0200

Hi Edward,

> On Aug 7, 10:23 am, Edward Hyer <ejh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For whatever reason (don't get me started), 'uncompress' is
>> deprecated on our new systems. However, we still have loads of .Z
>> files, and when I try to load one in emacs, I get
>>
>> /bin/sh: uncompress: command not found
>>
>> How can I get emacs to use gunzip instead?

M-x apropos-value RET uncompress RET tells me that
jka-compr-compression-info-list is responsible for that.  I tried
customizing that variable (the section which mentions "Z" and
"compress"), and that works here for uncompressing.

It seems though that gzip can not be told to create files so that they
are compatible with uncompress [*].  So changing files and re-saving is
not going to work, or at least it will not be compatible.

[*] No surprise here, IIRC the problem that lead to the development of
gzip at the time was tied to the compression algorithm used by compress.

benny