Re: outline: how to hide the subheadings?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: outline: how to hide the subheadings?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:29:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 10, 4:41 am, JackPhil <jack.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a heading have subheadings,the subheadings will always be shown. I
> want them to be hidden, not only the body of subheadings. How TO?

i just learned outline-mode this month, due to reading emacs 23's NEWs
file.

in outline mode, type Alt+x describe-mode, and it'll spit out its
inline doc. Then you can read all about the shortcuts for hiding
header or text etc.

Quote:

Commands:
C-c C-n   outline-next-visible-heading      move by visible headings
C-c C-p   outline-previous-visible-heading
C-c C-f   outline-forward-same-level        similar but skip
subheadings
C-c C-b   outline-backward-same-level
C-c C-u   outline-up-heading                move from subheading to heading

C-c C-t make all text invisible (not headings).
C-c C-a make everything in buffer visible.
C-c C-q  make only the first N levels of headers visible.

however, the keys are exceedingly complex and their logic cumbersome,
especially if you have cua-mode on, or if you also have your own
keyboard customizations.

So, i went to emacswiki for some read up.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OutlineMode

which gives a very good intro about outline mode.

Then, i found out about outline-magic package by Carsten Dominik,
which provides much better shortcuts and commands, so you simply use
arrow keys to do various expanding/hiding of the headers, or just
press tab to cycle thru the common pattern of toggling thru showing/
hiding sub sections.

The name Carsten Dominik sounds familiar, and indeed, he's the author
of org-mode, which i never used but did spend some time on in the past
to vaguely recall it's outgrowth of outline-mode.

So, i did a hour of study or 2. Basically, my quick conclusion is that
org-mode completely supplants outline-mode in features and quality.

just set your mode to org-mode, then just type tab key to hide/show
headers or subsections. org-mode is robust and well maintained, so
it's good to bet on. :D

you could put:
(defalias 'outline-mode 'org-mode)

hope this helps. :D