emacs 23 whitespace-mode, change newline display glyph

From: Xah Lee
Subject: emacs 23 whitespace-mode, change newline display glyph
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 05:21:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 12, 4:31 am, Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 2009-08-12 11:23 (UTC), Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
> > Otherwise one can still use the Long Lines mode (longlines-mode, that
> > was already present in Emacs 22), which shows the logical lines in
> > some other way: with a character ("|" in Emacs 22, "¶" in Emacs 23) in
> > a different color at the end of the logical line (but with the
> > longlines mode, the show-trailing-whitespace variable has no effect).
>
> One can pretty much replace longlines-mode with this:
>
>     (visual-line-mode 1)
>     (whitespace-newline-mode 1)
>     (setq fill-column 999999)
>
> This is nicer because longlines-mode is a hack which actually modifies
> the buffer in order to differentiate between hard and soft newlines.
> Emacs 23 has this proper way of doing it.

in my emacs 23 both on Windows and Mac, the white space shows as $,
not ¶, when in whitespace-mode or whitespace-newline-mode.

How to make it show line breaks using ¶ ?

i tried to read the doc... which took me too See also `whitespace-
style', `whitespace-newline' and `whitespace-display-mappings', and
customize... but its rather confusing.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/