Re: conkeror and emacs custom keymap

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: conkeror and emacs custom keymap
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:02:33 +0100

imputerate wrote:
my .emacs file contains lines like these:

(global-set-key "\eh" 'backward-delete-char)
(global-set-key "\eg" 'delete-char)
(global-set-key "\ev" 'kill-word)
(global-set-key "\ey" 'kill-line)

Such keymappings allow me to "touch edit" as well as "touch type;"

When I use Firefox they don't work;

Would they work in conkeror? How?

Thanks, imputerate

Imputerate,

I think you misunderstand what emacs means by 'global'.

global-set-key sets a global key binding within emacs (i.e. not editing-mode
specific).
It won't affect any other programs you are running, including
Mozilla's firefox, or KDE konqueror (I assume that is what you mean by
'conkeror').

In KDE,
you can change the shortcuts for all KDE apps by using
"KDE Button" / "Control Center"
selecting "Regional & Accessibility" / "Keyboard Shortcuts".

However, this will only affect KDE apps; it won't affect
galeon (Gnome's browser), open office, emacs, firefox etc.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.