emacs 23.1 meta not working in -nw mode

From: Neil Baylis
Subject: emacs 23.1 meta not working in -nw mode
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:40:03 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using emacs 23.1.1 on an Ubuntu system. It works fine using the
GUI. When I run it as emacs -nw, I find the meta key doesn't work
properly. Instead, it self-inserts something. Using ESC still works,
but I would like my meta back. (It worked before I upgraded to 23.1.1.
Prior to that, I had been using Ubuntu emacs snapshot, which was
23.something).

This is only on one particular system. I have another similar system,
and on that one, emacs -nw works as expected.

I'm imagining I've done something to bork up the input on this one,
but not sure how to find out what's wrong.

Any ideas on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Neil