Re: where does emacs23 store the info that was UnicodeData.txt?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: where does emacs23 store the info that was UnicodeData.txt?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:20:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 12, 9:20 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Xah Lee wrote:
> > in emacs 22, one can put in this unicode data file to emacs so that
> > what-cursor-position with C-u can give full info about a char:
>
> > ; load unicode data; used by what-cursor-position for showing full
> > unicode info
> > (setq describe-char-unicodedata-file
> >       (concat (file-name-directory
> >                (or load-file-name buffer-file-name))
> > "UnicodeData.txt" ))
>
> > by looking at the output, it appears to me emacs 23 now has the full
> > info on unicode char without needing that file.
>
> > Is that true?
>
> > where does emacs get the data that was in UnicodeData.txt?
>
> > thanks.
>
> >   Xah
> > ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> > ☄
>
> The internal representation in ver. 23 is now Unicode, as far as I
> understand. On ver 22, ☄ would be reported as some "Emacs" byte sequence
> but on ver 23 it will give the actual U+XXXX code point for that glyph
> or character or whatever you call it.

yes, but am wondering where does emacs get the unicode char property?

e.g., do describe-char,  and you get:

---------------------
        character: ☄ (9732, #o23004, #x2604)
preferred charset: unicode-bmp (Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane (U
+0000..U+FFFF))
       code point: 0x2604
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category: .:Base
      buffer code: #xE2 #x98 #x84
        file code: #xE2 #x98 #x84 (encoded by coding system utf-8-dos)
          display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: COMET
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)

Notice the last 3 lines. These info wasn't in emacs 22, unless you
install the UnicodeData.txt file. But since in my emacs 23, i took out
the UnicodeData.txt, it still know the char is named COMET, as well as
info like “general-category: So (Symbol, Other)”. So, am wondering
where it got it?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/