Re: recoding a buffer coding system

From: Santiago Mejia
Subject: Re: recoding a buffer coding system
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:31:40 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Also, can you post a minimal file and some minimal code to reproduce
> the problem?  There could be a bug somewhere.

Sorry for the lack of detail.

The method I am using to download the page is:

(switch-to-buffer (url-retrieve-synchronously
"http://www.wordreference.com/deen/grun";))

In the buffer *http www:wordreference.com:80* I see the character that
firefox displays as "ü" (u with umlaut) as \303\274.  When I try to copy
and paste it here in this e-mail, however, it appears as: "ü" (that is
also what happens when I try returning this buffer (buffer-string) and
inserting the returned buffer it into another buffer).

As I said, however, if I merely save and reopen the file, the characters
get shown properly.

In case this is useful, in the buffer *http www:wordreference.com:80*
the variable 'buffer-file-coding-system' is mule-utf-8

And yes: I am using Emacs 22.1.1.

Santiago.