Re: recoding a buffer coding system

From: Santiago Mejia
Subject: Re: recoding a buffer coding system
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:49:25 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
>> Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 04:55:48 +0200
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>

>> Am 16.08.2009 um 04:29 schrieb Santiago Mejia:
>>
>> > I just installed emacs 23.0.60.1 (the emacs23 that
>> > comes with Ubuntu --called emacs-snapshot) and I find the same exact
>> > result: I still see the same \303\274 character for ΓΌ when I call:
>>

>> Me too, in GNU Emacs 23.1.50. Maybe the function comes from a world
>> of 7-bit US ASCII only...
>
> Sounds like a bug that should be reported.

Probably there is a bug... however, there is something that emacs is
doing right in the process of writing and re-opening the file.

I tried debugging my program, by going step by step through the
(write-file "foo") and (insert-file-contents "foo") functions, to see if
I could figure out where was the conjuring trick done.  However, I did
not quite found it (that is why I appealed to the list).

Any ideas as to what should I look for in debugging these functions?
(perhaps what are the likely functions that emacs is using that I could
hack from emacs itself, so as not to have to save and re-open?)

Is my best bet to look at the (write-file "foo") or at
(insert-file-contents "foo)?

S.